September 13, 2008

The Knack - My Sharona

I was hesitant to do a post on this song, but then I remembered it was good enough for Nirvana so I should have no problem admitting I think its a fun song!  The Knack was one of those one hit wonder bands that came out with a song that was so catchy people still recognize it today.  It was this week back in 1979 that the song debuted. 

Along with many other teens (that had fake IDs) I would dance to this song every time I went out - any cover band in their right mind added this one to their repetoire as soon as it hit the radios.  I have very fond memories attached to My Sharona. 

If you'd like to check out Nirvana's cover, here it is.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

RAHM said...

I like this song, and it was number one in 1979 according to Billboard despite that it was the era disco

Malcolm said...

As a heads up, The Knack had two other Top 40 hits besides "My Sharona". "Good Girls Don't" (which peaked at #11) and "Baby Talks Dirty" (#38). Although I haven't heard the latter, I think that "Good Girls Don't" is pretty catchy.

I actually saw The Knack for free a few years ago as part of the Rock and Roll Funhouse Tour. Also performing during the show were The Fixx and Tommy Tutone. It was OK... but since I had free tickets, I have no complaints.

I think that My Sharona is power pop at its best. As the kids on AB used to say, "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it". Thanks for including the link to Nirvana's version. I'm going to check it out now.

music obsessive said...

This should be in your 'Guilty Pleasures' series..actually it should be in mine too!

It's one of those love to hate songs that's damned difficult to get rid of once infected. Now you've reminded me of it again...arrgh!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...