March 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Sir Elton


I can't think of any other musician that is quite as flamboyant and flashy as Elton.  In the last decade or so he's toned it down a bit but still has a unique style of his own.  For anyone who's had the pleasure to see him perform live (I have!) you've seen his showmanship in action.  I can't file him under the category of "classic rock", I think "pop rock" would fit better.  But whatever you call it - his talent as a pianist and songwriter is exceptional.  He's an icon. 


Here's some interesting tidbits from This Day in Music:

1947, Born on this day, Elton John, singer, songwriter, pianist, (Reginald Dwight), 1971 UK No.7 single 'Your Song', 1973 US No.1 single 'Crocodile Rock' seven other US No.1's. Biggest selling single of all time with 1997 'Candle In The Wind 97', plus over 50 UK Top 40 hit singles. Sold over 150m records worldwide. He auditioned for prog-rock band King Crimson. Elton and Bernie Taupin wrote 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' under the pseudonyms Ann Orson and Carte Blanche. Some of the aliases Sir Elton has used checking into hotels include, Prince Fooboo, Sir Humphrey Handbag, Lillian Lollipop, Lord Choc Ice, Lord Elpus, Binky Poodleclip and Sir Henry Poodle. Elton John’s official nickname is Rocket Man - but Rod Stewart calls him Sharon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 comments:

Her Big Sad said...

I've had the good fortune to see him four times. Twice in Texas, twice here. I adore Elton. Positively adore him. My oldest daughter caught the Elton fever from me (she will be 30 soon) and we know all the words.... and sing them. I'm getting to be such an old lady that I don't want to fight live concert crowds any more but we still rock down the 55 headed toward the beach, singing "Saturday Night" and all the rest. My all time favorite is "The One". But about 50 songs tie for #2 favorite! Happy Birthday Elton!

Jim L said...

We saw him and Billy Joel together quite some time back. Both good showmen!

Bar L. said...

HBS!!! How fun to see you here on this blog! Thanks for coming by. I know that drive from the 55 to the beach!!! How cool that your daughter picked up a love for him. I think my favorite song by him is "Madman Across the Water" but I can't explain why! "Saturday Night" is one of those songs that just gets you in the mood for fun...love it.

Jim, that must have been incredible!

Maxi said...

I remember the film "Almost Famous", when they all start singing "Tiny Dancer" ... that's the one of my favorite scenes..

Bar L. said...

Max - that's one of my favorite movies, I loved that scene too.

That reminds me, I have an old friend who used to call me his "Penny Lane" and we've started talking again, I'll have to ask him if he remembers that :)

Cleveland Jeff said...

Great blog. Elton has been doing some excellent work lately. Here's a review of his latest:
http://kleaveburg.blogspot.com/2010/03/elton-john-captain-and-kid-2006.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...