February 21, 2009

Why I am Boycotting the Oscars Tomorrow Night:

My favorite part of the Oscar ceremonies is the red carpet - seeing who wears what and who makes a fool out of themselves by being an arrogant twerp and who seems like a sincerely nice person. But I won't be watching any of it tomorrow night because, as my friend, Pete, over at Blogness on the Edge of Town says so eloquently: this year the Oscar nominating committee really F'd Up.

Why? By leaving off what is CLEARLY one of the best movie track songs of the year. It deserved a nomination (I believe it deserved to win, but I am trying to keep my personal bias out of this as much as humanly possible).

Bruce wrote the theme song to "The Wrestler" after Mickey Rourke talked with him on the phone and told him about the movie. Bruce came through with a song that fits the movie like a glove, its perfect. Why then would the Academy not nominate it? I am not the only one who thinks this was a blatant snub, Rolling Stone agrees with me as do countless others who have seen the film and or heard the song.

Springsteen fan or not - does anyone think this song was not worthy of a nomination?  Did you see what WAS nominated?  Two songs from  Slumdog Millionaire tracks and Peter Gabriel’s “Down To Earth” from Wall-E.  (BTW Peter Gabriel is boycotting the Oscars too for his own reasons - you can read that over at Blogness).  Obviously once again its all about  power and politics in Hollywood and nothing to do with who deserves to win.  I wonder if the people who win these awards feel that way?  It must be as obvious to them as it is to us, right?

So....therefore, there will be one less person watching their silly show that obviously does not use talent and excellence as a criteria for their nominating process.







Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

7 comments:

UnHoly Diver said...

I'm not boycotting the Oscars. I just find them to be a waste of my time; have for years.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

What kind of rule is it that music performances are limited to 65 seconds? No wonder Peter Gabriel is boycotting.

Cinnamon Girl said...

There are songs that can not be nominated. I am not sure what the rules are but they are there and they are seriously convoluted. They didn't nominate Eddie Vedder's version of Hard Sun for Into The Wild either and that song is TREMENDOUS.

I'll be watching the Oscars. Heck I'll be live blogging it so you can live vicariously! Now if they don't give Heath the award I will riot.

Jeff said...

This was one of the few years that I actually saw a number of the movies nominated, so I did watch. But I still don't think they have any credibility. As for the songs chosen, I definitely think Bruce's should have been in there, and I also though MIA's "Paper Planes" should have been nominated, because I thought it was the best song in Slumdog, but maybe it wasn't written specifically for the movie or something. I don't know how all these rules work...

Cinnamon Girl said...

Paper Planes was in Slumdog? I know that M.I.A. was nominated for one of the best original songs but I didn't think Paper Planes was in it. It will always be tied to Pineapple Express in my brain =)

Jeff said...

Starlight - I just checked the soundtrack and it is listed in there. If I remember correctly it's somewhere in the middle of the movie. I think when the main characters were younger.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Well no I really have to see that movie. I love that song. Just saw that it was co written by Topper Headen and Mick Jones!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...