February 24, 2009

Happy Birthday to George Harrison

George would have been 66 years old today.

Here are some quotes I found attributed to him:

The Beatles will exist without us.
 
All the world is birthday cake, so take a piece, but not too much.
 
   As long as you hate, there will be people to hate.
 
I think people who can truly live a life in music are telling the world, "You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don't need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it's the very best, and it's the part I give most willingly.
 
I wanted to be successful, not famous.
 
The Beatles saved the world from boredom.
 
When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there.
 
With our love, we could save the world.
 
The Beatles exist apart from my Self. I am not really Beatle George. Beatle George is like a suit or shirt that I once wore on occasion and until the end of my life people may see that shirt and mistake it for me.
 
I began to write more songs when I had more time, especially when we began to stop touring. Having Indian things so much in my head it was bound to come out.

4 comments:

classicrockforthesoul said...

Very nice quotes!

You beat me to the punch! I was going to blog about him today in my post - I shall find something else :)

Sean Coleman said...

The night after George passed, some friends and I went to see Blue Oyster Cult and they played "I Need You" in tribute. Very big loss.

He had the worst experience of the four in the Beatles, from being treated as a junior partner in the song writing stakes, to having George Martin and Paul dictating how he should play in the studio. I think he was very jaded by the whole experience. The solo work that he released was of very high quality, though.

"Sunrise doesn't last all morning
A cloudburst doesn't last all day
Seems my love is up and has left you with no warning
It's not always going to be this grey

All things must pass
All things must pass away"

music obsessive said...

Very nostalgic. I bought 'All Things Must Pass' on CD recently, never having owned the vinyl (triple LP set!)and have enjoyed it greatly.

I walked past the gates of his home in Henley many years ago. You couldn't see the house from the gates. It's about 3 miles up the drive. Not bad for a kid from Liverpool.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

George was an amazing musician.

After reading Eric Clapton's biography, I was amazed how close the two of them were - even with the whole thing about George's ex-wife.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...