November 30, 2008

The Definitive Rod Stewart - Review

Rod Stewart, Ekeberghallen, Oslo, Norway, Nove...Image via WikipediaI received a wonderful CD/DVD to review recently. I have to admit, I am not a huge fan of Rod Stewart's but while listening to the first disc I was reminded how much I like his early music:

Maggie May, Mandolin Wind, Every Picture tells a Story, Stay With Me, You Wear it Well

All great songs that I think are his finest.

Disc two only held one that I actually like:

Forever Young

The set also comes with a DVD that contains some of his music videos from the good old MTV days. If you like Rod, I highly recommend it!

Here's the complete track listing:
Disc: 1
1. Maggie May
2. Mandolin Wind
3. Every Picture Tells A Story
4. Stay With Me (Faces)
5. You Wear It Well
6. Sailing
7. The Killing Of Georgie (Part I And II)
8. Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)
9. The First Cut Is The Deepest
10. You're In My Heart (The Final Acclaim)
11. I Was Only Joking
12. Hot Legs
13. Da Ya Think I m Sexy?
14. Passion
15. Young Turks
Disc: 2
1. Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)
2. Baby Jane
3. Infatuation
4. Some Guys Have All The Luck
5. Love Touch
6. Forever Young
7. My Heart Can't Tell You No
8. Downtown Train
9. This Old Heart Of Mine (1989 Version with Ronald Isley)
10. I Don't Want To Talk About It (1989 Version)
11. Rhythm Of My Heart
12. The Motown Song - with The Temptations
13. Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda)
14. Have I Told You Lately (Unplugged Version)
15. Reason To Believe (Unplugged Version with Ronnie Wood)
16. Two Shades Of Blue (Previously Unreleased)
Disc: 3
1. Sailing (music video)
2. I Don't Want To Talk About It (music video)
3. The Killing Of Georgie (Part I And II) (music video)
4. The First Cut Is The Deepest (music video)
5. You're In My Heart (The Final Acclaim) (music video)
6. Hot Legs (music video)
7. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? (music video)
8. Ain't Love A Bitch (music video)
9. She Won't Dance With Me (music video)
10. Young Turks (music video)
11. Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me) (music video)
12. Baby Jane (music video)
13. If We Fall In Love Tonight (music video)
14. Ooh La La (music video)




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

6 comments:

carlozzi006 said...

I'm a big fan of Rod Stewart up until 1975 when he "sold out" in my opinion. Some of my favorite songs of his are Stay With Me, Miss Judy's Farm, Maybe I'm Amazed, Ooh La La, Jailhouse Rock (Jeff Beck Group), Handbags and Gladrags, Street Fighting Man, (I Know) I'm Loosing You, Maggie May, Reason To Believe, Every Picture Tells A Story, Twisin' The Night Away, and You Wear It Well.

music obsessive said...

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Three CDs would be wasted on me as I'd only ever play about the first half dozen songs. Those early singles and his work with the Faces are all I can stomach with Rod.

I used to play 'A Nod's as Good as a Wink...' endlessly back in the day.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Faces, yes. Mandolin Wind (just that album) yes. Do I think he's sexy? I'd rather stitch that portion of my anatomy shut than let him in :P

Bar L. said...

Mark,
Yep, he got kinda weird after that...

Hey Music O! Well so far we are all in agreement.

STARR!!!! LOL! I have never heard that before so I am sure you made it up. I don't think he's sexy either (ick!) but he sure had a lot of hot looking wives.

Bill said...

Just one Faces track somehow underplays that bands importance in Stewart's early career don't you think? Like most people that have already commented, its Faces or pre-"Sailing" era for me. I'd add his vocal on Python Lee Jackson's "In A Broken Dream" as another early Rod Stewart recording worth owning.

Anonymous said...

"Order Rod Stewart's ""The Definitive Collection""
Available in stores now!
Order at Amazon.com
Take home the collection now!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...