My sister and I got in a discussion about bands that don't survive if one of the key members leaves (for whatever reason).
Some bands try to keep going, others don't. Typically the lead vocalist carries the make it or break it factor, but not always. Please feel free to add to this list, disagree or admit that I am right about all of these :) Obviously some of these bands are still together so this is just speculation.
- The Doors - obviously Jim Morrison was The Doors
- Heart with either Ann or Nancy missing would never be the same.
- The Rolling Stones without Mick? Hmmmm, no.
- The Who - these guys thought they could go on without Keith, then without Keith or John. I think they should have quit while they were ahead. Could they survive without Roger or Pete? No.
- Led Zeppelin - they honored the fact that Zeppelin was all four of them, so with class and respect they laid the band to rest when John died. Could it have survived without him? Yes, but it never would have been as good.
-AC/DC is an example of a band that still did well after losing the lead vocalist, Bon Scott. Brian Johnson was a great replacement. But would they have survived without Angus?
-Pink Floyd. I don't even know what to say about this complicated band, but they are one of my favorites.
- Kiss without Gene Simmons - eh, I don't really care.
- How about the Beatles? I don't think they would have got by without John or Paul, but if those two stuck together I think Ringo or George could have been replaced. Don't get me wrong, I love Ringo and George, and I'm glad that didn't happen.
- Aerosmith without Steven Tyler is a no go. But they should have hung it up years ago.
- Journey tried it without Steve Perry, but in my opinion failed.
- Ok what about Rush? I don't think they could get by if they replaced any one of them.